Peter is a Partner in, and leads/coordinates, the firm’s Banking & Finance and Corporate Groups in Hong Kong. He holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree (LLB Honours) from the University College of London and a Postgraduate Diploma of Law with Distinction (PGDip Law Dist) from BPP Law School London. He has previously worked as an attorney in the London office of a US law firm and the Channel Islands and Hong Kong offices of an international offshore law firm.
Peter’s practice focuses principally on banking & finance, corporate and restructuring transactions. He provides British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands law advice to banks, other financial institutions, sponsors, insurance companies, other corporate entities and private clients to deal with day-to-day legal issues and complex, strategic matters.
Peter was recognised as one of the top offshore lawyers in Asia in the Asian Legal Business Offshore Client Choice List, 2021 based on recommendations from clients who describe Peter as, among other things, “very knowledgeable of offshore legal matters”, “professional and responsive” and as being able to “provide succinct, commercial advice in a timely manner”. He is also described as "very responsive” in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, 2019.
Examples of Peter’s experience include:
• Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice in connection with China Vanke's participation in a consortium to take Global Logistic Properties Ltd private – a transaction valued at approximately US$11.6bn which was Singapore's largest M&A deal on record and Asia's largest private equity buyout at the time of the transaction.
• Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to the steering committee of bondholders of certain notes issued by Kaisa Group in connection with its restructuring of nearly 17 billion yuan in offshore debt involving around 70 offshore vehicles, which was recognised as a “Deal of the Year” by the China Business Law Journal and IFLR.
• Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to CTBC Bank Co Ltd on certain senior loan facilities in connection with the US$800 million acquisition of Tricor Holdings Limited, a leading provider of integrated corporate services, by Trivium Investment Limited, a subsidiary of global private equity firm, Permira.
• Providing BVI law advice to China's Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC) Leasing on its first ever ship lease financing, a US65.5m sale and leaseback transaction with Eletson Corporation, a Greek tanker owner and operator, which was recognised as a “Deal of the Year” by the China Business Law Journal.
• Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to Caldera Pacific on its US$123.7m acquisition of a 40% stake in Dragon Capital, Vietnam's largest asset management company, in partnership with Samsung Securities, which was recognised as a “Deal of the Year” by Asia Business Law Journal.
• Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to the finance parties in connection with the acquisition by a consortium, led by Bain Capital Private Equity, of Trans Maldivian Airways.